TDDE35 Large-Scale Distributed Systems and Networks
For detailed time and place of individual lectures, please see timedit.
See overview for a preliminary high-level timeline of when the different parts will be covered.
Lectures during vt1-2022: The plan is to have the lectures (at least during vt1) over zoom. In most cases, we will send out a link on the course email list the day before each lecture.
TEN1 exam March 2022: This will be a regular in-person exam (Swedish: "salstenta")
|18/1 (Tue)||Andrei||Elcome. Intro. (ch 1)||TEN1|
|19/1 (Wed)||Niklas||Intro/Applications (ch 1+2)||TEN1|
|24/1 (Mon)||Niklas||Applications (ch 2)||TEN1|
|25/1 (Tue)||Andrei||Transport (ch 3)||TEN1|
|26/1 (Wed)||Andrei||Transport (ch 3)||TEN1|
|31/1 (Mon)||Andrei||Network, data plane (ch 4)||TEN1|
|1/2 (Tue)||Andrei||Network, data+control plane (ch 4+5)||TEN1|
|2/2 (Wed)||Andrei||Network, control plane (ch 5)||TEN1|
|7/2 (Mon)||Andrei||Link (ch 6)||TEN1|
|8/2 (Tue)||Niklas||Distributed systems||TEN2(*)|
|9/2 (Wed)||Niklas||Distributed systems||TEN2(*)|
|14/2 (Mon)||Niklas||Distributed systems||TEN2(*)|
|21/2 (Mon)||Niklas||Distributed systems||TEN2(*)|
|22/2 (Tue)||Andrei||Wireless (ch 7)||TEN1|
|23/2 (Wed)||Niklas||Security (ch 8)||TEN1|
|28/2 (Mon)||Niklas||Multimedia (ch 9)||TEN1|
|8/3 (Tue)||TBD||Reserve / guest lecture|
* Please note that although the Distributed systems above primarily will be examined
during TEN2 some of the parts will be beneficial also during TEN1 (e.g., slides called "part A4").
Computer Networking (TEN1)
Textbook for computer network part:
Kurose, James F. & Ross, Keith W. Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach, 7th Edition (2016), Pearson Education.
Or the 8th edition (2021). The textbook also has its own website, including applets, powerpoint slides and wireshark labs. We strongly encourage students to take advantage of the many available learning resources.
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 1
- Slides: 2021 (welcome, intro), 2022 (pptx)
- Transmission vs propagation delay
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 2
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 3
Network layer:Data Plane
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 4
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 5
- Slides: 2021 (ppt)
- Dijkstra animation
DV count to infinity
Current BGP Table
List of ASes
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 6
Wireless and mobile networks
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 7
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 8.
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 9
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 1-9.
Distributed Systems (part A of TEN2)The four lectures will primarily be based on content from the textbook "Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms", by Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Maarten Van Steen. We will cover roughly the same content as in last year's course. As such, you may benefit from having a look at the following topics:
- Introduction (Ch. 1)
- Architectures (Ch 2 - 2.2)
- Processes and communication (Ch 3 - 3.4.2, 4 - 4.3, 11 - 11.3.1)
- Synchronization, replication, and consistency (Ch 6 - 6.3, 6.5 - 6.5.3, 7.4, 7.5.2-7.6)
- Object-based and Web-based systems (Ch 10 - 10.7, 12 - 12.7)
- Slides 2022: part A1; part A2; part A3; part A4 Slides 2020: partA1; partA2; partA3; p2p examples; mapreduce examples
- B. Cohen, "Incentives build robustness in BitTorrent", Proc. Workshop on Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems, Berkeley, CA, June 2003. (pdf)
- Extra resource (for log claims/discussion): I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, M. F. Kaashoek, and H. Balakrishnan, "Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for Internet applications", Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, San Diego, CA, Aug. 2001. (doi)
Methodologies and Scale (part B of TEN2)
- Slides 2021/2022: Overview + Measurements (B1); Tails + RGR (B2); Queueing + Experimentel design (B3)
Multicore (part C of TEN2)Slides
- Slides 2022: Introduction (2022) Parallel Computer Architecture Concepts (lecture 1), Parallel Programming with Processes, Threads and Message Passing (lecture 2), Design and Analysis of Parallel Programs (lectures 3-4)
Embedded Systems (part D of TEN2)Slides
- Embedded systems: 2020/2021
Summary lecture and example questions for exam
- You will find some example questions and more comments for the TEN1 here. Old exams can be obtained from IDA's student office and their online archive. (Also, note that TEN1 will look similar to pre-covid exams in TDTS11, which were joint between TDTS11+TDDD93 or TDTS11+TDDE35).
- Slides for summary lecture can be found here: 2021, 2020,
- Slides used for discussion about some recent research project can be found here: 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018
- Thesis projects and other project opportunities: I always have several projects on a broad range of topics; See my website for example projects, recent publications, and examples of papers published with past thesis students. If you interested in discussing potential projects, please send me an email (although for thesis projects an email in year 4 or 5 may be enough :).
Page responsible: Niklas Carlsson
Last updated: 2022-08-12