TDDD23 Design and Programming of Computer Games
The following YouTube videos are really relevant, entertaining videos and perhaps also use some bad language (there is some cartoon violence and some bad words) that really sum up a lot of the core knowledge you need to try to integrate into your game. Really study these videos and think about how you can do what Egoraptor talks about in these videos and you will address fundamental design issues in this course., ,
In this course we recommend reading up on core concepts such as game play, game mechanics, progression and so forth. the book that is recommended is a very good beginners guide to game development but the focus on the course is more technical and learning from building a game and exposing that result to testing and constructive critique.
- Gamasutra, www.gamasutra.com
- GameDev.net, www.gamedev.net
- The Designer’s Notebook
- Fundamentals of Game Design (Game Design and Development Series) (Paperback), by Ernest Adams (Author), Andrew Rollings (Author) Pearson Education & Prentice Hall, 2007 ISBN 0-13-168747-6
- Some articles:
- Gameplay progression article.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameplay, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_mechanics
- On storytelling: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6214951/index.html?sid=6214951
- Relevant XNA 4.0 extensive tutorial:
Page responsible: Erik Berglund
Last updated: 2012-10-26