TDDD89 Scientific Method
- Theses at IDA
- Theses at ISY (also contains links to divisions where thesis proposals are posted)
- Planning report for your Master's thesis
- Checklist for degree project at the second cycle (Master's) level
- Introduction to scientific methods
- Hederskodex för Sveriges Ingenjörer
- Portal för att söka exjobb i Mjärdevi
- Portal för exjobb på IDA
Also, there is an example project that you may take as inspiration and copy the structure from.
Writing a report
- Merkel, M., Andersson U., och Önnegren B. (2011). On writing a report (in Swedish). (pdf.
- Öberg J. (2015). Instructions for final thesis reports. (English, Swedish).
- Ramsey, N. "Learning Technical Writing Using The Engineering Method", Tufts University, 2016
- IEEE Editorial Style Manual, official manual by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, used by engineers in Compouter Science and Electrical Engineering. (pdf).
- The Academic Phrasebank from Manchester University, UK, may be used to find synonyms and useful phrases in academic writing.
- Advice on academic writing in English from Academic English Support @ LiU
- In Swedish only: Språkverkstäder vid Campus Valla och Campus US har en hel del tips om både muntlig och skriftlig framställning på svenska och engelska. Språkverkstäderna är öppna för alla studenter vid Linköpings universitet som vill ha hjälp med muntlig eller skriftlig framställning på svenska och engelska.
- Vad är en vetenskaplig artikel?
- Keshav, S. (2007). How to read a paper. ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 37(3), 83-84.
- Greenhalgh, T. (1997). How to read a paper. Statistics for the non-statistician. I: Different types of data need different statistical tests. British Medical Journal, 315(7104), 364. (pdf)
- Greenhalgh, T. (1997). How to read a paper. Statistics for the non-statistician. II:" Significant" relations and their pitfalls. British Medical Journal, 315(7105), 422. (pdf)
- The reference manager Mendeley, for references in Word and LaTeX
- JabRef - Java-based BibTeX reference manager
- Reference management tools for LaTeX, inkluding a list of reference managers (Mendeley may also be used).
- Linköping University provides a special search engine for scientific publications: UniSearch. You will have to be on the LiU network or else logged in with your LiU id to use it.
- Google Scholar is a good search engine for papers pertaining to Computer Science and Electrical Engineering.
- The NoPlagiat plagiarism self-study guide by the University Library @ LiU
- Definitions of copyright violations and plagiarism on the University Library pages
Awards to apply for
Guidelines and surveys
- M. Shaw. Writing good software engineering research papers: Minitutorial. In Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Software Engineering, ICSE '03, pages 726-736, Washington, DC, USA, 2003. IEEE Computer Society.
- For those who plan to conduct studies on the effects of software systems in industrial settings (primarily students in themes 1, 3, 4, 5):
- B. A. Kitchenham, S. L. Pfleeger, L. M. Pickard, and P. W. Jones. Preliminary guidelines for empirical research in software engineering. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 28(8):721-734, August 2002.
- P. Runeson and M. Höst. Guidelines for conducting and reporting case study research in software engineering. Empirical Software Engineering, 14(2):131-164, Apr. 2009.
- For those who plan to study usability aspects of software systems (primarily students in themes 4, 5):
- Alonso-Ríos, David, et al. "Usability: a critical analysis and a taxonomy." International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction 26.1 (2009): 53-74.
- Hvannberg, Ebba Thora, Effie Lai-Chong Law, and Marta Kristín Lérusdóttir. "Heuristic evaluation: Comparing ways of finding and reporting usability problems." Interacting with computers 19.2 (2006): 225-240.
- For those who plan to study software testing (primarily students in themes 3):
- G. Fraser and A. Arcuri. Sound empirical evidence in software testing. In Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Software Engineering, ICSE '12, pages 178-188, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2012. IEEE Press.
- Arcuri, Andrea, and Lionel Briand. "A hitchhiker's guide to statistical tests for assessing randomized algorithms in software engineering." Software Testing, Verification and Reliability 24.3 (2014): 219-250.
- For those who plan to study Machine Learning topics (primarily students in theme 7):
- Vanschoren, Joaquin, et al. "Experiment databases." Machine Learning 87.2 (2012): 127-158.
- Caruana, Rich, and Alexandru Niculescu-Mizil. "An empirical comparison of supervised learning algorithms." Proceedings of the 23rd international conference on Machine learning. ACM, 2006.
- For those who plan to make use of internal code quality evaluations (primarily students in themes 1, 3, 4):
- Moser, Raimund, Witold Pedrycz, and Giancarlo Succi. "A comparative analysis of the efficiency of change metrics and static code attributes for defect prediction." Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Software engineering (ICSE). ACM, 2008.
- Sjøberg, Dag IK, et al. "Quantifying the effect of code smells on maintenance effort." IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 39.8 (2013): 1144-1156
- For those who plan to do hardware construction theses (primarily students in theme 2):
- Kuon, Ian, and Jonathan Rose. "Measuring the gap between FPGAs and ASICs." IEEE Transactions on computer-aided design of integrated circuits and systems 26.2 (2007): 203-215.
- Reynoso-Meza, Gilberto, et al. "Controller tuning by means of multi-objective optimization algorithms: A global tuning framework." IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 21.2 (2013): 445-458.
- For those who plan to do security evaluation theses (primarily students in theme 8):
- Holm, Hannes, Mathias Ekstedt, and Dennis Andersson. "Empirical analysis of system-level vulnerability metrics through actual attacks." IEEE Transactions on dependable and secure computing 9.6 (2012): 825-837.
- Shahriar, Hossain, and Mohammad Zulkernine. "Mitigating program security vulnerabilities: Approaches and challenges." ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 44.3 (2012): 11.
- For those who plan to do theoretical theses (primarily students in theme 6):
- Case study, development processes: "The impact of agile principles and practices on large-scale software development projects: A multiple-case study of two software development projects at Ericsson." by Lina Lagerberg and Tor Skude, Linköpings universitet 2013.
- FPGA development: "SEU Mitigation Techniques for Advanced Reprogrammable FPGA in Space" by Fredrik Brosser and Emil Milh, Chalmers 2014
- Case study, software testing: "Reducing Regression Testing Feedback Cycle Times Through Improved Testing Techniques" by Viktor Lövgren, Linköpings universitet, 2014.
- Usability + performance study, mobile application: "An Approach towards user-centric application mobility" by Andreas Åhlund, Umeå universitet 2009
- Usability study, iterative development: "SIGHTLENCE - Haptics for Computer Games" by Mathias Nordvall, Linköpings universitet, 2012
- Theoretical computer science, algorithm construction: "Upper Bounds on the Time Complexity of Temporal CSPs" by Peter Stockman, Linköpings universitet 2016
- Experimentation, Machine Learning: "Organ detection and localization in Radiological Image Volumes" by Tova Linder and Ola Jigin, Linköpings universitet 2017
- Security evaluation: "Certificate Transparency in Theory and Practice" by Josef Gustafsson, Linköpings universitet 2016
Page responsible: Ola Leifler
Last updated: 2017-10-31