TDDI07 Distributed embedded software and networks
The reading material in this course will primarily be based on scientific papers that are discussed in the seminars and which available electronically (to LiU students). All reading material will be linked from this page. Login with your LiU-ID when accessing from outside university.
Book:As a general introduction to the topics discussed in the course it is recommended to read the following book.
- [VDMC08] Verdone, Dardari, Mazzini, Conti, Wireless Sensor and Actuator Networks Technologies: Analysis and Design , Elsevier, 2008. online resource.
Articles for energy-efficient networking seminar
- Mandatory overview paper (note that sections 4-6 can read superficially): Giuseppe Anastasi, Marco Conti, Mario Di Francesco, Andrea Passarella, Energy conservation in wireless sensor networks: A survey, Ad Hoc Networks, Volume 7, Issue 3, May 2009, Pages 537-568, ISSN 1570-8705, doi:10.1016/j.adhoc.2008.06.003.
- M. Guo, L. Li and Q. Guan, "Energy-Efficient and Delay-Guaranteed Workload Allocation in IoT-Edge-Cloud Computing Systems," in IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 78685-78697, 2019. doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2922992
- K. Wang, Y. Wang, Y. Sun, S. Guo and J. Wu, "Green Industrial Internet of Things Architecture: An Energy-Efficient Perspective," in IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 48-54, December 2016. doi: 10.1109/MCOM.2016.1600399CM
- Jie Liu, Bodhi Priyantha, Ted Hart, Heitor S. Ramos, Antonio A. F. Loureiro, and Qiang Wang. 2012. Energy efficient GPS sensing with cloud offloading. In Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Embedded Network Sensor Systems (SenSys '12). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 85-98. DOI=10.1145/2426656.2426666
- Gnawali, Omprakash and, Fonseca, Rodrigo and Jamieson, Kyle and Moss, David and Levis, Philip Collection tree protocol, in Proceedings of the 7th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '09). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1-14. doi: 10.1145/1644038.1644040
- Rong Zheng, Jennifer C. Hou, and Lui Sha. 2003. Asynchronous wakeup for ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of the 4th ACM international symposium on Mobile ad hoc networking & computing (MobiHoc '03). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 35-45. doi:10.1145/778415.778420
- E. J. Vergara, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and M. Prihodko, EnergyBox: Disclosing the Wireless Transmission Energy Cost for Mobile Devices, Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems. Elsevier, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.suscom.2014.03.008.
Articles for dependability seminar
- Mandatory overview paper: A. Avizienis, J. C. Laprie, B. Randell and C. Landwehr, "Basic concepts and taxonomy of dependable and secure computing," in IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11-33, Jan.-March 2004. doi: 10.1109/TDSC.2004.2
- S. S. Banerjee, S. Jha, J. Cyriac, Z. T. Kalbarczyk and R. K. Iyer, "Hands Off the Wheel in Autonomous Vehicles?: A Systems Perspective on over a Million Miles of Field Data," 2018 48th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), Luxembourg City, 2018, pp. 586-597. doi: 10.1109/DSN.2018.00066
- Ataul Bari, Arunita Jaekel, Jin Jiang, Yufei Xu, Design of fault tolerant wireless sensor networks satisfying survivability and lifetime requirements, Computer Communications, Volume 35, Issue 3, 1 February 2012, Pages 320-333, ISSN 0140-3664, doi:10.1016/j.comcom.2011.10.006
- M. Rezvani, A. Ignjatovic, E. Bertino and S. Jha, "Secure Data Aggregation Technique for Wireless Sensor Networks in the Presence of Collusion Attacks," in IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 98-110, Jan.-Feb. 1 2015. doi: 10.1109/TDSC.2014.2316816
- J. Cucurull, M. Asplund, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and T. Santoro, Surviving Attacks in Challenged Networks, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2012. doi: 10.1109/TDSC.2012.67
- I. R. Chen, F. Bao and J. Guo, "Trust-Based Service Management for Social Internet of Things Systems," in IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 684-696, Nov.-Dec. 1 2016. doi: 10.1109/TDSC.2015.2420552
- E. Barsallo Yi, A. Maji and S. Bagchi, "How Reliable is My Wearable: A Fuzz Testing-Based Study," 2018 48th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), Luxembourg City, 2018, pp. 410-417. doi: 10.1109/DSN.2018.00050
- J. Chen et al., "Your IoTs Are (Not) Mine: On the Remote Binding Between IoT Devices and Users," 2019 49th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), Portland, OR, USA, 2019, pp. 222-233. doi: 10.1109/DSN.2019.00034
Articles for the clock synchronisation and positioning seminar
- Mandatory overview paper (you only need to read sections 1-3, the rest is optional): Bharath Sundararaman, Ugo Buy, Ajay D. Kshemkalyani, Clock synchronization for wireless sensor networks: a survey, Ad Hoc Networks, Volume 3, Issue 3, May 2005, Pages 281-323, ISSN 1570-8705 doi:10.1016/j.adhoc.2005.01.002
- Geoffrey Werner-Allen, Geetika Tewari, Ankit Patel, Matt Welsh, and Radhika Nagpal. "Firefly-inspired sensor network synchronicity with realistic radio effects", In Proceedings of the 3rd international conference on Embedded networked sensor systems (SenSys), 2005. doi: 10.1145/1098918.1098934
- M. L. Sichitiu and C. Veerarittiphan, "Simple, accurate time synchronization for wireless sensor networks," 2003 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking, 2003. WCNC 2003., New Orleans, LA, USA, 2003, pp. 1266-1273 vol.2. doi: 10.1109/WCNC.2003.1200555
- Naveen Sastry, Umesh Shankar, and David Wagner. 2003. Secure verification of location claims. In Proceedings of the 2nd ACM workshop on Wireless security (WiSe '03). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1-10. DOI=10.1145/941311.941313
- T. Hao, R. Zhou, G. Xing, M. W. Mutka and J. Chen, "WizSync: Exploiting Wi-Fi Infrastructure for Clock Synchronization in Wireless Sensor Networks," in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1379-1392, June 2014. doi: 10.1109/TMC.2013.43
- Tian He, Chengdu Huang, Brian M. Blum, John A. Stankovic, and Tarek Abdelzaher. 2003. Range-free localization schemes for large scale sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 9th annual international conference on Mobile computing and networking (MobiCom '03). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 81-95. doi:10.1145/938985.938995
- Abbas, M., Elhamshary, M., Rizk, H., Torki, M., & Youssef, M. (2019). WiDeep: WiFi-based accurate and robust indoor localization system using deep learning. In IEEE PerCom 2019. Available as pdf
Extra reading material
- C. Wu, Z. Yang and Y. Liu, "Smartphones Based Crowdsourcing for Indoor Localization," in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 444-457, Feb. 1 2015. doi: 10.1109/TMC.2014.2320254
- [RRK+04] Ravi, Srivaths and Raghunathan, Anand and Kocher, Paul and Hattangady, Sunil, Security in embedded systems: Design challenges, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS), Volume 3 Issue 3, 2004, doi:10.1145/1015047.1015049
- Ravi, S. and Raghunathan, A. and Chakradhar, S., Tamper Resistance Mechanisms for Secure Embedded Systems, 2004 doi:10.1109/ICVD.2004.1260985
- Tifenn Rault, Abdelmadjid Bouabdallah, Yacine Challal, Energy efficiency in wireless sensor networks: A top-down survey, Computer Networks, Volume 67, 4 July 2014, Pages 104-122, ISSN 1389-1286, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2014.03.027.
- [KLK+14] JaeWoo Kim, Jaiyong Lee, Jaeho Kim, and Jaeseok Yun, M2M Service Platforms: Survey, Issues, and Enabling Technologies, Communications Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE , vol.16, no.1, pp.61,76, 2014, doi: 10.1109/SURV.2013.100713.00203
- Eugster, P.T.; Guerraoui, R.; Kermarrec, A.-M.; Massoulie, L., "Epidemic information dissemination in distributed systems," in Computer , vol.37, no.5, pp.60-67, May 2004 doi: :10.1109/MC.2004.1297243
- [Lam01] Leslie Lamport Paxos made simple pdf
- Fox, D.; Hightower, Jeffrey; Lin Liao; Schulz, D.; Borriello, G., "Bayesian filtering for location estimation," Pervasive Computing, IEEE , vol.2, no.3, pp.24,33, July-Sept. 2003 doi: 10.1109/MPRV.2003.1228524
- Ranganathan, P., Recipe for Efficiency: Principles of Power-aware Computing Communications of the ACM, Volume 53, Issue 4, 2010, doi:10.1145/1721654.1721673
- M. Siekkinen, M. Hiienkari, J. K. Nurminen and J. Nieminen, How low energy is bluetooth low energy? Comparative measurements with ZigBee/802.15.4, Wireless Communications and Networking Conference Workshops (WCNCW), 2012 IEEE, Paris, 2012, pp. 232-237. doi:10.1109/WCNCW.2012.6215496
- [Kop97] Kopetz, H. Real-Time Systems : Design Principles for Distributed Embedded Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997 electronic resource
- [CPMA13] Carrano, R.; Passos, D.; Magalhaes, L.; Albuquerque, C., "Survey and Taxonomy of Duty Cycling Mechanisms in Wireless Sensor Networks," Communications Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE doi: 10.1109/SURV.2013.052213.00116 link
- [ASSC02] Akyildiz, Su, Sankarasubramaniam and Cayirci, "Wireless sensor networks: a survey", Computer Networks, Volme 38, Issue 4, 2002, link
- [IEEE06] IEEE Standard 820.15.4-2006
- [NBG+11] Nabi, M.; Blagojevic, M.; Geilen, M.; Basten, T., "Dynamic data prioritization for quality-of-service differentiation in heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks," Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON), 2011 8th Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on , doi: 10.1109/SAHCN.2011.5984911
- [EBS03] El-Gendy, Bose and Shin, "Evolution of the Internet QoS and Support for Soft Real-Time Applications", Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 91, no. 7, July 2003 link
- [Bou06] Boukerche, Azzedine (editor), Handbook of Algorithms for Wireless Networking and Mobile Computing, Chapman and Hall/CRC 2006 electronic resource
- [WTJ+11] Geng Wu, Shilpa Talwar, Kerstin Johnsson, Nageen Himayat and Kevin D. Johson "M2M: From Mobile to Embedded Internet", IEEE Communications Magazin, April 2011, doi:10.1109/MCOM.2011.5741144
- Online course on artifical intelligence by Udacity. Lession 3 is of special interest to the localisation part of this course. Unfortunately, you have to sign up to the whole course to see the lesson. Artificial Intelligence for Robotics at Udacity.
Page responsible: Mikael Asplund
Last updated: 2019-12-17