TDDC78 NSC Account Application Procedure (2014)
The course project
For this course we use supercomputing resources at NSC.
NSC has allocated a special project for our course, with the project number
We will have a reserved partition of the Triolith supercomputer for prioritized usage during scheduled course lab hours. Outside lab hours you might submit jobs to Triolith but then jobs might wait in the queue for days.
The course project at NSC will expire after 2014-09-01,
so make sure that your labs are completed by then.
Supervision will only be given during scheduled lab hours.
Student accounts at NSC / Triolith:All account handling is now done via the national-level SNIC portal SUPR, which acts as a wrapper for the NSC portal NSC Express.
(Further information: FAQ).
Depending on if you have been registered before or not, the process is different:
Group I: new students who have never been registered at NSC or SUPR before
- Go to SUPR and register as a NEW user (Register New Person).
- Fill in the required fields (Name, Organization (LiU), postal code, city, email) and choose a good password. This password will only be used for SUPR, not for NSC Express and not for Triolith! (In total there are thus 3 different logins with 3 different passwords)
- Click Register New Person.
- An email will now be sent to the email address given. In that email is a link. Click on that link to verify that the email address works (important, as we will send a password to it later). As soon as you click on the verification link, you are fully registered in SUPR and can request project memberships.
Request membership in the course project:
1. Log in to SUPR and go to Projects.
2. Under Request Membership, search for the project SNIC 2014/5-5
3. Click the Request button.
Now you will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to login
to NSC Express from SUPR, set a NSC Express password and proceed
with the User Agreement and application for a Triolith account.
1. Log in to NSC-Express from SUPR.
2. When you enter NSC Express for the first time, you will be asked to print out the NSC User Agreement, see below.
Important: this is a generated document with the user's name and other details on it, so it needs to be printed.
3. Under Accounts, apply for an account on triolith by clicking Request Account.
If a new login account on Triolith was requested, it will be created by NSC as soon as possible (usually within a working day).
At this point, if NSC has not yet received the User Agreement (see below), the account creation will automatically be put on hold until they receive it.
When the Triolith account is created, the username/password will be sent via email to the address registered in NSC Express.
Sign the printed User Agreement and
send it together with the passport copy
to NSC (post address: National Supercomputer Centre (NSC), Linköping University, S-58183 Linköping, Sweden)
by regular mail or internal LiU mail.
Group II: students who have been registered before but have no open login account at NSC (i.e., most of the students from previous courses):
- Register in SUPR, see Group I above.
- Login to SUPR and request membership in the course project, see Group I above.
- Follow further instruction received by email.
Group III: Students who are already active NSC users (i.e have an open account on Kappa, Triolith or Matter):
- Get access to SUPR and NSC Express if you don't already have this (contact support @ nsc.liu.se or follow instructions on www.nsc.liu.se/express.
- In SUPR, request membership in the course project and in NSC-Express request a login account on Triolith (if needed) as described for Group I above.
Page responsible: Webmaster
Last updated: 2014-03-28