TDDC78 NSC Account Application Procedure (2013)
The course project
For this course we use supercomputing resources at NSC.
NSC has allocated a special project for our course, with the project number LiU-2013-00109-1.
We will have a reserved partition of the Triolith supercomputer for prioritized usage during scheduled course lab hours. Outside lab hours you might submit jobs to Triolith but then jobs might wait in the queue for days.
The course project at NSC will expire 2013-09-01, so make sure that your labs are completed by then.
Student accounts at NSC / Triolith:All account handling is now done via the NSC portal NSC Express. so we will simply use the normal process. This is described on http://www.nsc.liu.se/start/apply/faq.html Depending on if students have been registered before or not, the process is different:
Group I: new students who have never been registered at NSC before
- Go to www.nsc.liu.se/express/contact/create and register as a NEW user.
- Fill in the required fields (Name, Organization (LiU), postal code, city, email) and choose a good password. The password will only be used for NSC Express, not Triolith!
- Click Create User.
- An email will now be sent to the email address given. In that email is a link. Click on that link to verify that the email address works (important, as we will send a password to it later). As soon as you click on the verification link, you are fully registered in NSC Express and can request accounts and project memberships (but no account will be opened until NSC receives the User Agreement).
Request membership in the course project:
1. Login to NSC Express (www.nsc.liu.se/express).
2. Click the Manage My Projects button.
3. Search for LiU-2013-00109-1
4. Click the Request button.
5. Add a short note to the project owner, e.g "I am participating in TDDC78".
6. Tick the button next to Triolith to tell the system that you also want an account opened.
7. Click the Request Membership button.
8. An email will now be sent to the project owner with instructions on how to approve or deny this membership request.
9. As soon as the membership request is approved, you become a member of the course project.
10. If a new login account on Triolith was requested, it will be created by NSC as soon as possible (usually within a working day).
At this point, if NSC has not yet received the User Agreement (see below), the account creation will automatically be put on hold until they receive it.
When the Triolith account is created, the username/password will be sent via email to the address registered in NSC Express.
- Go back to NSC Express, you will now be asked to print out the NSC User Agreeement. Important: this is a generated document with the user's name and other details on it, so it needs to be printed.
Sign the User Agreement and
send it together with the passport copy
to NSC (post address: National Supercomputer Centre (NSC), Linköping University, S-58183 Linköping, Sweden)
by regular mail or internal LiU mail.
Group II: students who have been registered before but have no open login account at NSC (i.e., most of the students from previous courses):
- Get access to NSC Express (these users are already registered, so DO NOT register a new user, that will just cause extra work for NSC as they need to merge the two entries). Instead, send an email to support @ nsc.liu.se and ask to have your NSC Express account activated.
- Login to NSC Express and request membership in the course project and login account on Triolith as described for Group I above.
Group III: Students who are already active NSC users (i.e have an open account on Kappa, Triolith or Matter):
- Get access to NSC Express if you don't already have this (contact support @ nsc.liu.se or follow instructions on www.nsc.liu.se/express.
- In NSC Express, request membership in the course project and login account on Triolith (if needed) as described for Group I above.
Page responsible: Webmaster
Last updated: 2013-03-13