- Co-founder of and steering committee chair for the International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing series. (since 2001)
- General chair for IEEE WETICE-2005, 14th IEEE International Workshops on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructures for Collaborative Enterprises.
- Conference chair for IEEE WETICE-2002, 11th IEEE International Workshops on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructures for Collaborative Enterprises.
- Program chair for IEEE WETICE-2000, 9th IEEE International Workshops on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructures for Collaborative Enterprises.
- Program committee member for several conferences.
- Elected chair of the IEEE chapter for Computer/Software Engineering, Swedish section. (since 2001)
- Chair (2005), vice-chair (2003-2004), member (since 2001) of the drafting committee in computer science for the Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet).
- Member of the drafting committee within the program IT-Användning for the Swedish Agency for Innovative Systems (VINNOVA). (2001-2002)
- Member of the Norwegian Research Council (NFR) within the area of ICT. (2003-2004)
- Member of the review committee in computer science for the Swedish Research Council for Engineering Sciences (TFR). (1999)
- Research director of the iTRUST Center for Information Security
- Member of the steering group for CUGS, the Swedish national graduate school in computer science. (since 2001)
- Member of the board of National Institute for the Study of Ageing and Later Life (NISAL) "Tema Äldre och Åldrande", campus Norrköping, LiU. (since 2000)
- Member of the Linköping Institute of Technology board of directors.
- Invited by the Ministry of Education & Science ("utbildningsdepartmentet") as external member of the governing board for Jönköping University. (1999-2003)
- Member of the department board of the Department of Computer and Information Science, LiU. (since 2000)
- Expert advisor ("sakkunnig") in appointment boards for several positions (professor and lecturer).
- Member of review committee of research and research education in computer science, media and communication and information science at Karlstad University.
- Several reviewing commisions, e.g. the Swiss National Science Foundation and Science Foundation Ireland.
- Subject area editor of the Journal of Systems Architecture (resigned mid-2005).
- Program director for the SSF-funded multidisciplinary ECSEL research school.
- Head of the Division for Database and Information Techniques (ADIT), LiU. (since 1999)
- Director of the Laboratory for Intelligent Information Systems (IISLAB), LiU. (since 1994)
- Coordinator for Internationalizing
programs in the area of Computer Science and Informatics.
- Departmental ECTS
- Coordinator for Medieinformatik
(Swe.), a specialization profile for D-, IT-, and C-programs.
- ESTIA-NET: Opening Up Electrical Engineering, Computer Technologies and Applied Sciences to Successful Women Careers.