Large-Scale Distributed Systems and Networks
For detailed time and place of individual lectures, please see timedit.
See overview for a preliminary high-level
timeline of when the different parts will be covered.
Computer Networking (TEN1)
Textbook for computer network part:
Kurose, James F. & Ross, Keith W. Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach, 6th Edition (2012), Pearson Education.
Kurose, James F. & Ross, Keith W. Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach, 7th Edition (2016), Pearson Education.
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 1
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 2
- Slides: 2016 (part1, part2, p2p), 2017 (part1, part2, p2p)
- Extra resource (for log claims/discussion): I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, M. F. Kaashoek, and H. Balakrishnan, "Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for Internet applications", Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, San Diego, CA, Aug. 2001. (pdf)
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 3
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 4 (and 5 in the 7th ed)
- Slides: 2016 (part1, part2 part3) 2017 (Data plane) 2017 (Control plane)
- Extra resource (for IPv6 adoption discussion): Jakub Czyz, Mark Allman, Jing Zhang, Scott Iekel-Johnson, Eric Osterweil, and Michael Bailey. Measuring IPv6 Adoption. In Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, Chicago, IL, Aug. 2014. (pdf, doi)
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 5
Wireless and mobile networks
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 6
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 7
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 8.
Reading: Kurose and Ross, Chapter 1-8.
Distributed Systems (part A of TEN2)The four lectures will primarily be based on content from the textbook "Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms", by Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Maarten Van Steen. We will cover roughly the same content as in last year's course. As such, you may benefit from having a look at the following topics:
- Introduction (Ch. 1)
- Architectures (Ch 2 - 2.2)
- Processes and communication (Ch 3 - 3.4.2, 4 - 4.3, 11 - 11.3.1)
- Synchronization, replication, and consistency (Ch 6 - 6.3, 6.5 - 6.5.3, 7.4, 7.5.2-7.6)
- Object-based and Web-based systems (Ch 10 - 10.7, 12 - 12.7)
- Slides 2017: lectures based on chapters 1-3 (partA); chapters 4 and 10 (partB); chapters 6 and 7 (partC); google/mapreduce examples (slides)
- Slides 2016: lectures based on chapters 1-3 (partA1); chapters 4 and 10 (partA2); chapters 6 and 7 (partA3)
- B. Cohen, "Incentives build robustness in BitTorrent", Proc. Workshop on Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems, Berkeley, CA, June 2003. (pdf)
Methodologies and Scale (part B of TEN2)
- Slides 2017: part B1 (pdf, pptx); part B2 (pdf); part B3 (pdf)
- Slides 2016: part B1 (pdf, pptx); part B2 (pdf); part B3 (pdf)
Multicore (part C of TEN2)Slides
- Introduction (2015, 2017), Parallel Architectures (2015, 2017)
- Threads, Processes, and MPI (2015, 2017)
- Design and Analysis of Parallel Programs (2015, 2017)
Embedded Systems (part D of TEN2)Slides
Summary lecture and example questions
- You will find some example questions and more comments for the TEN1 here
- Slides for summary lecture can be found here: 2015, 2017
- Slides used for discussion about some recent research project can be found here: 2017
- You will find some example questions and more comments for the TEN2 here
Page responsible: Niklas Carlsson
Last updated: 2017-05-17