TDDD66 Mobile Networks
For details about time and places, please see timedit.
Lecture MaterialNote: The slides in this course are adapted or based on various on-line resources (including lectures notes by Juha Takkinen, Anirban Mahanti, Carey Williamson, Jim Kurose, Keith Ross, and likely many others) and should only be used for academic/educational purposes.
Reading: Murthy and Manoj: Chapter 1.
Reading: Kurose and Ross textbook. (Prerequisite to course.)
Example technologies and standards
Reading: Murthy and Manoj: Chapter 2, 3, 4.
Reading: Murthy and Manoj: Chapters 5.2.1, 6, 7.2.4, and part of 10. (Also see Kurose and Ross.)
Reading: See above (including Kurose & Ross!!)
Ad-hoc networks (and some of their issues)
Reading: Murthy and Manoj: Chapter 5.
Reading: Murthy and Manoj: Chapters 5.2.2, 7, and part of 10.
Slides: 2013, gpsr
- J. Broch, D. A. Maltz, D. B. Johnson, Y. C. Hu, and J. Jetcheva, A performance comparison of multi-hop wireless adhoc network routing protocols, Proc. ACM MOBICOM '98, Dallas, TX, Oct. 1998, pp. 85--97. (pdf)
- B. Karp, and H. T. Kung, GPSR: greedy perimeter stateless routing for wireless networks, Proc. ACM MOBICOM '00, New York, NY, Aug. 2000, pp. 243--254. (pdf)
Transport layer and TCP issues
Reading: Murthy and Manoj: Chapters 5.2.4, and part of 9.
Extra candidate reading:
- H. Balakrishnan, V. N. Padmanabhan, S. Seshan, and R. H. Katz, A comparison of mechanisms for improving TCP performance over wireless links, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 5, 6 (Dec. 1997), pp. 756--769. (pdf)
Reading: Kurose & Ross.
Reading: Kurose & Ross: Chapter 7 (streaming/multimedia), especially chapters 7.2 and 7.4.
Slides: 2013, HAS (pp. 2-22)
Reading: Kurose & Ross + Selected papers.
Extra candidate reading:
- B. Cohen (2003), "Incentives build robustness in BitTorrent", Proc. Workshop on Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems, Berkeley, CA, June 2003. (pdf)
Slides (and a few note sketches): part1, part2,
Slides on Linear Programming and Network Optimization: by Prof. Zongpeng Li
Example Exam questions
You can find example questions (and format of exams) here: Oct. 2010, Oct. 2012, Aug. 2013
- Siva Ram Murthy, C. & Manoj, B. S. (2004), Ad hoc wireless networks: architectures and protocols. Prentice Hall.
- Kurose, J. F. & Ross, K. W. (2012), Computer networking: a top-down approach. Sixth edition. Pearson.
- Extra/complementary reading: A. S. Tanenbaum and D. J. Wetherall (2010), Computer networks. Fifth edition. Prentice Hall.
- Various online resources and research papers.
Page responsible: Niklas Carlsson
Last updated: 2013-10-09