TDDB68: Concurrent Programming and Operating Systems
TDDB72: Concurrent Programming, Operating Systems,
and Real-Time Operating Systems
Course Literature HT 2006
The main textbook for this course is:
Other useful books are:
Silberschatz, Galvin and Gagne: Operating System Concepts, 7th ed.,
John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
Earlier versions may still be useful, but new chapters have been added
(e.g., on real-time operating systems) and others
have been replaced or restructured in the meanwhile.
Errata for the 7th edition, first printing
compiled by C. Kessler, July 2005
- William Stallings: Operating Systems, Internals and Design Principles
5th ed., Prentice Hall, 2004
- Silberschatz, Galvin and Gagne: Applied Operating Systems Concepts, 1th ed.,
John Wiley & Sons, 2003, or a later editon
- Garry Nutt: Operating Systems, 3rd ed., Addison-Wesley, 2003
- Bacon and Harris: Operating Systems - Concurrent and Distributed Software Design, Addison-Wesley, 2003
- Bic and Shaw: Operating Systems Principles, Prentice Hall, 2003
- Deitel, Deitel and Choffner: Operating Systems, 3rd ed., Prentice Hall, 2004.
There is no printed material for the labs, but
a large set of documents is available
here. Most notably:
- A Roadmap Through Nachos (, ).
Real-time Operating Systems (for TDDB72)
Papers on Real-time Operating Systems
- A Survey of Configurable, Component-Based Operating Systems for Embedded Applications
- Real-Time Operating Systems for Embedded Computing
- Embedded Application Design Using a Real-Time OS
- The Chimera II Real-Time Operating System for Advanced Sensor-Based Control Applications
- Paper 5- Windows NT as Real-Time OS? - a web article from the Dedicated Systems Magazine
Paper 6 - a White Paper from Sun
- Scalable Real-Time Computing in the Solaris Operating Environment
- RT Mach - list of three papers about the RTMach OS.
- QNX - the web site for QNX
Useful URLs about RTOS:
Background reading on real-time systems
In case you want to read more about the principles of real-time systems,
we can recommend the following book:
- Jane W. Liu: Real-time systems. Prentice Hall, 2000.
Available in Kvartersbibliotek B, kursref.
- Peter J. Denning: The Locality Principle.
Communications of the ACM 48(7):19-24, July 2005.
Short review of OS research on virtual memory, working sets, and locality optimizations.
- B. Kuperman et al.:
Detection and prevention of stack buffer overflow attacks.
Communications of the ACM 48(11):19-24, Nov 2005.
- Edward A. Lee: The Problem with Threads.
IEEE Computer May 2006, pp. 33-42.